Monday, December 7, 2009

Language Schedule

  In my quest for learning, language and linguistics is among my favorite topics.  There are several languages that I would like to at least be able to communicate in by the end of my life.  I would like to learn Spanish, Catalan, French, Italian, Portuguese and a native South American language in that order.  This quest is life long, and I understand that.  I spent 3 months in Spain, 3 weeks in Equador, and some time on my own studying Spanish and Catalan.


  This undertaking is definately going to need some help.  I don't have very much time, so my thought was to have a monthly calendar for what to learn.  For instance, the first week of the month, I would learn the name of the month in my first language.  The second week, I would learn the name of the month in my second language and so on.  Days of the week would then be broken down into different subjects.  Monday might be focused on food.  Tuesday might be office things.
  I think this is a system that could potentially be developed into something very powerful.  It is however very preliminary, and really could use some suggestions.  Have you learned another language?  What do you think of this idea?
  I have tried some things similar to this already, but it seems the hardest thing to do is choosing words and finding an easy way to write them out or type them up without wasting time.
  Language remains one of my greatest passions.  The ability to communicate in another world, with a whole new culture, in a completely different tongue is truly beautiful.  The challenge of learning such a language is one of the things that draws me to it.  It can take a lifetime to learn how to best interact in a particular environment.  Thus the guru pilgrim continues his journey.

No comments: